Monday, January 1, 2001

Catherine's WR#8

In September’s California Educator there is a section that focuses on “The Information Age: Teaching and Learning on the Cutting Edge.” On pages 18-21 it outlines potential problems for teachers such as being videoed by students who put it out of context on YouTube and bogus MySpace accounts created for teachers by students. As we become more and more involved in creating blogs and wikis, we need to make sure not only our students are safe, but that we are, too.

What have you done to protect your students? What have you done to protect yourself? When was the last time you googled yourself? Do you know what to do if you become a “cyber victim”? What do you know about your rights? (Contributed by Vicki Kurtz)


Please post your response to Google Docs by Wednesday, October 17. Once you've shared your response, please reply to someone else's by Monday, October 22. Thank you.


To refresh your memory about how to post to Google Docs (opening and naming a new file, sharing with the rest of the ATI2007 gang), follow this link.



I must say, I've been an ostrich with her head in the sand when it comes to internet safety. Our school demands an "Internet Use" agreement which students grades 4-8 and parents must sign before students are given access to the internet at school. This form is kept on file in the office. Frankly, I've never paid much attention to it. I have three computers in my room, all in plain sight. With only eleven students, it is not difficult for me to monitor their use. So far, my experience is limited; I have yet to post videos of myself or my students online; I'm protecting my students simply by monitoring their internet use at school. I'm protecting myself by virtue of my limited contributions to the net. I usually refer to myself as "carnold" rather than "catherine," but recently have become more confident because I want real response to my posted work from real people, and to do that, I must reveal my own identity.

I can't say I know what it means to become a "cyber victim," though it must resemble identity theft. I can't imagine how I'd know if a crime had been committed against me. I have no idea what my rights are and I'm thinking Vicki is going to teach me something new very soon. I have recently googled myself, though not in search of a "cyber crime."

In the last two months, three very dear friends, representing three separate remote pasts of my life have "found" me via e-mail. One of those three googled me, learned about my interests, and found my address. That prompted me to do my own search. I found my bird blog, as well as my Blogspot list, and my RWP association. I was surprised because when I began my blog, I tried to find it by googling and couldn't. I imagine I've gained credibility each time Tracy has linked me. No association with Peninsula School was revealed in the top three "next" scrolls--not likely Peninsula School has frequent visits with few job openings and less than 35 families represented in its enrollment roster. So...my RWP professional internet play has resulted in at least one personal reunion, which was a pleasant surprise--not an unpleasant one.

Finally, to veer from our topic, I must admit that my technology play has increased my electronic-consumer-yearnings. I was finding it difficult to convert cassette tape to digital recordings and just happened to find a microphone with its own flash drive that records and saves mp3 files directly onto the computer via usb port. I made an impulse order that will arrive at the beginning of next week. I confess without my Tech. Institute earnings I would find it hard to justify this purchase, but now can say I'm investing in the good of the cause! Look forward to meeting with Harriet because maybe I'll have some material to work with soon. Other than that, my technology pursuits are barely off the ground in the classroom--taking some pictures, trying to type some stories and barely finding time to do my "to-do" list. Hope things settle down in the coming month and hope you're all doing well--look forward to hearing from you!
Catherine

Brian and I have found long lost friends and relatives too--very cool. I guess when our bank accounts are drained or we're arrested, we might suspect we've been cyber-victimized.

I'm using an iTalk on my iPod to record--a good $50 investment, but the sound could be improved with an external mic. The writing is what we have to get to, before I can say we can make a digital story this year. Our movie did not have that personal quality that makes digital storytelling so compelling. I'm hopeful though, that after some group story making, we can get there.

--Harriet

There are any number of ways to be victimized online (though not nearly as many as offline), but most can be avoided with common sense and by paying attention (there are many easy to digest and follow lists of tips for safe surfing out there). Interestingly, though I can understand why people are uncomfortable paying bills online, etc., the vast majority of identity theft happens OFFLINE (you know, when the waiter takes away your credit card to run it in the other room...). Plus, all those companies you do old fashioned paper business with store your information on their networks anyway, so if their security fails, your out of luck either way. Check your credit reports regularly regardless of how you shop. ;-)

On a lighter note, I too have had several folks find me online in the past few years. Very cool if somewhat odd. ~Mauro

Amen, Mauro! The Paranoia Award goes to my mother, however. She won't give her correct address or phone number online--ever. If we're smart about the entities to whom we share personal information and we scour our statements, we should be safe. Or so I chose to believe. That and so many financial institutions offer fraud protection: let 'em know you've been 'jacked, and they'll refund your stash. They'd rather cover your loss than lose folks nervous about flashing their cards. Ain't capitalism grand? Tracy

I shred everything, so I guess I am paranoid too. However, I do my banking online, pay bills online, shop online, play on ebay. I love the convenience. What did we do without the internet? My phone does not take pictures or have internet. It simply calls or texts and if I get too fancy, I have to ask my students to help me. Sad, I know. I don't know how to use a palm pilot or the new iPhone. I just learned how to use iTunes last year and downloaded singles to use in conjunction with lessons. I was proud. I had an old boyfriend find me online, and although it shook me at first, I thought it was kind of neat. Vicki